Contentment is the state of being happy and satisfied. Godly contentment is finding satisfaction in God. Remember every good and perfect gift comes from God ( James 1:17) Contentment is a spiritual virtue that governs the attitude we have towards earthly things. To be content is to be satisfied within, with regard to all the outward circumstances of one’s life. David in the Psalm 23: 1 says “ The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. To be content is to be thankful for what you have.
The Bible says in 1 Timothy 6:6-12 “But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses”.
~THE GREATEST GAIN A MAN CAN HAVE IS TO BE GODLY AND CONTENTED~
The opposite of contentment is Greed/covetousness.
Greed is the sin of wanting what belongs to others even when you have more than enough. In the Bible, King David coveted Bathsheba ( Uriah’s wife) to the extent of impregnating her. As a way of covering his shame, he placed Uriah on the battle front so that he could be killed by the enemies army. ( 2nd Samuel 11)
The distinction between Godly contentment and passivity. To be passive means to take no action about a situation and simply let things be. Many people will settle for less even in a bad condition and call that Godly contentment, some people are miserable, lazy, poor, not easy to get along with others, sick and dying and will choose to say that they are contented in those situations; that is not Godly Contentment! God has not called us to live a life of defeat but of Victory through Christ Jesus. We have press on towards the victorious life Christ died to give us.
More scriptures on Godly Contentment
Matthew 16:26 for what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
2nd Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
Proverbs 16:8 Better a little with righteousness than great gain with injustice.
How can one live a life of Godly contentment?
- BE GRATEFUL for what God has given to you, a person who give thanks will always be blessed, count your blessings, name them one by one, you will be amazed that God has done so many good things in your life. In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you ( 1st Thessalonians 5:18)
- TRUST GOD: Trust that God will take care of you; you don’t have to compare yourself with others. He knows what you need before you even pray. Romans 8:32 “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all–how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?”
- LEARN CONTENTMENT. Contentment is a virtue that is learnt! It’s not attained by wishful thinking! “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want”. (Philippians 4:11-12)
- GUARD YOUR HEART FROM THE LOVE OF MONEY. Above all guard your heart with all diligence for out of your heart flows the issues of life (Proverbs 4:23). For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.( 1STTimothy 6:10)
- WALK BY FAITH. Faith is walking in obedience to God’s word, its believing that the promises of God will come to pass in your life. It’s also having confidence that God will take care of you regardless of what you face presently. But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.(1st timothy 6:11)