Healing from Emotional scars:
“Your scars are trophies to remind you that you were once in pain but now you have been healed” ~ Steven Furtick~
Whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world. 1st John 5: 4
Isaiah 53:4 surely he hath borne our grief’s, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
By His stripes we are healed! Isaiah 53:6
What are Emotional scars?
An emotional scar is a past experience that has not yet been handled. It could have happened a year ago. It could have happened 25 years ago. It does not matter. An emotional scar is an experience that has not yet been completely resolved.
Some people are so scarred by traumatic happenings in their past that they are afraid to love and afraid to accept love. Some men and women have been so dominated by their parents that they do not even know their own thoughts. Some women have been through horrible episodes of physical abuse, such as rape, incest or beatings given by a former husband. Can people who have been so bruised by life completely overcome their past?
How emotional scars manifest in our lives.
- Present occurrences trigger past pain.
- Shock , denial or disbelief
- Inability to sustain meaningful soul to soul relationships.
- Excessive reliance on alcohol and other addictive substances.
- Easily angered, very irritable
- Guilt, shame and self blame
- Withdrawing from others
- Feeling Hopeless
- anxiety attacks
- difficulty falling or staying asleep difficulty falling or staying asleep
- Outbursts of anger or rage.
- aggressive behavior, NB: hurting people hurt people
How to overcome emotional scars.
- Discover the source of the unhealed scar
- Surrender the pain you feel to God: talk to God. 1st peter 5:7, Cast your care to the Lord because he cares for you.
- Share your story; the thing that caused you the greatest pain might the very thing that produces the greatest power~ by Steven Furtick, remember they overcame the enemy by the words of their testimony
- Pick good lessons to learn from the scars
- Hide yourself in the word of God- Jesus says in John 15:3 “ you are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you”
- Choose to submit to the spirit of God whenever you are tempted act emotionally wrong. Ie submit your emotions to God, Choose to overlook some faults, do not magnify people’s faults
- Forgive people who hurt you.
- Focus on the good things God is doing in your life
- Acknowledge that you are healed! Say things like “ Iam Healed” , “the past cannot control me”
References from internet articles.
Picture sourced from https://mastermindcontent.co.uk/the-importance-of-healing-emotional-scars/